top of page

Prisoner of War Camp

Prisoner of War Camp No.65 on Setley Plain was built in 1941 to hold Italian Prisoners of War. Following the Italian surrender in 1943 the camp was used to hold German prisoners and continued to do so until 1947. During the war years, each morning and evening lorries would transport prisoners to and from their designated jobs in the Forest, escorted with a single armed guard.At the end of the war the camp was further used by the New Forest Rural District Council to house young families of returning servicemen, previously housed in Nissen huts at Beaulieu aerodrome. The camp had a shop, run by Harry Munden, and survived until the early 1950’s, when replacement council housing became available.

bottom of page